Monday, February 14, 2011

Here We Grow Again!

Another three months since my last post, but I have a good reason this time. We have been keeping a big secret and I didn't want to spill the beans before we were ready. Well, now we are ready and I can shout it from the rooftop...we are adding another little one to our family!! I'm sure this may surprise some of you, but no one is more surprised than us.
After Thanksgiving, I began to feel a little tug that our family might not be complete. I couldn't let go of the idea of HotDog having a sister. She adores her brothers and has a lot of fun with them, but a sister relationship is so different. I threw the idea out to Stu, thinking he would immediately dismiss it. Imagine my surprise when, a few days later, he came home and said we should do it! I couldn't believe it. I've been a member of several groups that advocate for waiting/special needs children in China since Pudding's adoption so I immediately started to search. I inquired about one little girl who looked like she would be a perfect fit for our family. Unfortunately I was told she was on hold for another family. I continued to search and looked at a few other files but I couldn't get the first little girl out of my mind. I couldn't believe it when I saw her mentioned again on an advocacy blog. I contacted the agency coordinator (she was on an agency's individual list) who said the other family had declined and she sent us her file. I immediately sent the file to our pediatrician for review but knew in my heart we had found our girl. After getting thumbs-up from our pediatrician the next day, we sent in our LOI and received PA the very next day. Since then we've been busy updating our homestudy and meeting with our social worker. We are thrilled that we can take advantage of China's new rule, allowing us to reuse our old dossier since our last adoption was less than a year ago. It is saving us a little bit of money and a whole lot of hassle. We are now waiting (im)patiently for our I800 approval so we can send all of our paperwork to China and let the real wait for our little sweetie begin. Assuming the rest of our process proceeds smoothly, we are hoping to pick up her up in late summer (I'm keeping my fingers crossed for August).
While I know this sounds like a spontaneous and random decision, this is not something we decided without a lot of soul-searching. We discussed (a lot) whether we had the time and energy for another child, while at the same time making sure that it wouldn't have a negative impact on our four children at home. There were (and still are) moments of pure panic where I think to myself, "What in the world are we doing??!!?" Honestly, at this point our household operates in contained-chaos mode and we usually have extra children in and out of our house. Our house may be loud and messy, but it's fun and full of love.
I'll post another entry soon with updates on the Bigs and the Littles as well as a look back on Pudding's first-year with our family (can you believe it has almost been a year?!?!). But right now, I'd like to introduce you to our newest little girl...affectionately dubbed "Sprout" by her big brothers.



15 comments:

Maria said...

I love her already!! Sprout -- so cute!!

Jackie said...

WOW! What a cute little sprout. Congrats to all of you!!!

Grace said...

wow! congrats to you and your growing family!!!

Christen L said...

WOW CONGRATULATIONS! Sprout is so cute. Both the name and the girl herself. ;) Can't wait to hear more!

Hilary Marquis said...

Congratulations! She is beautiful :) And I am insanely jealous...in a good way of course.

Jeanne said...

How exciting! What great news to share on Valentine's Day!

Becky said...

She's just beautiful! And I LOVE the nickname Sprout, so cute!

Congratulations and I can't wait to follow your journey to her!

Rebekah said...

She is so sweet! Congratulations! We look forward to following your journey to bring Sprout home!

sweet momma luv u said...

I am so thrilled for you!! Sprout is just adorable!

Brent says NO so we are staying a family of 4.
Hugs,
Jody

the Kahler Family said...

Congrats! And I am so glad you get to re-use your dossier. We have until October to decide if we are going to go get that baby girl Mike wants ;) And 5 is a very nice number :)

Kim Abraham - Mom to the Fabulous Five! said...

Wow Alison, that's wonderful! Big families ROCK!

I started following your blog years ago at the beginning of our daughter's Russian adoption. I talked to Stu about a recommendation for CHI. It's been amazing to see how your sweet family has grown since 2007.

We have actually been considering adopting a little girl from China's waiting/special needs list. We've inquired about a few children but haven't found the right fit yet. Since we have five kids, it is scary to think how in the world we could handle one more. We go back and forth with the idea. But like you, I really want Lexi to have a sister (and I'm having so much fun with my girl.) If you don't mind, could you please list the advocacy groups you mentioned. I can't wait to read all about Sprout's adoption!

Rachel said...

SO BEAUTIFUL!!! Bring more pictures next month!

DiJo said...

She is SOOOO precious!!!!!! Very excited for you and hoping this process speeds up for both of us!!! I want to go NOW!

Now, let's get that name!! :)

~Diana

Johnda said...

WOw, Congrats on the little sprout!!! She looks like a happy baby...What a blessing!!

Heather Brandt said...

Just wondering which blogs or lists you follow that advocate for waiting children...I'm not sure we will be able to adopt again but I'd love to file the info. in case...

HEATHER (AT) HEATHERBRANDT (DOT) COM