Sunday, September 23, 2007

No News is NOT Good News

I talked with my coordinator again. Our poor coordinator was trying to get ready for a business trip but she wouldn't leave until she had an update for us. She insisted the director of the program call Moscow on our behalf and figure out what was going on with our potential referral/travel. (Have I mentioned how much I LOVE our coordinator?!?!) The news wasn't good. Evidently, our region doesn't want to give out any more referrals until the agency gets reaccredited. Sooooo, best case scenario, our agency gets accreditation and we can travel in late October. Worst case scenario...I don't even want to think about it.
I was so disappointed by the news. I think over the past few days, I've gone through an abbreviated version of the 7 stages of grief: denial, anger, bargaining...and finally acceptance. Surprisingly enough, I'm now okay with this news. Of course it's not what I want, but there is absolutely nothing I can do (other than pray for accreditation to happen ASAP) to change the situation. And I keep reminding myself that this time next year, she'll have been home for a long time and this will all seem like a distant memory.
My main fear now is that the second trip will be during Christmas and I'll miss Christmas with my boys. But I refuse to even think that far ahead at this point. We'll cross that bridge when/if we get there.
I did tell my coordinator that I really don't want to hear any more estimates on when we should travel. For 6 months we have been hearing estimates on when they think it will happen. So we've had these expectations dangling in front of our faces, just kind of teasing us with hope. No more. I'm not going to try to plan our schedules around the possibility of traveling. I don't want any more information until it is official.
In the meantime, the boys start their fall break on Thursday of this week. They have 2 1/2 weeks off from school and we plan on having a ton of fun. And then it will be time to think about Halloween and all of the celebrations that go along with it.
Off to pray for accreditation!

Monday, September 17, 2007

The Wait Continues

Still waiting. No news. Need a glass of wine....or ten.

Sunday, September 9, 2007

Quick Update

Hi all!
Just wanted to post a brief update since so many of you have been emailing about how the Monkey did after his surgery. He did great during surgery but has had a rough recovery this week. He does okay during the day while the codeine is working but has not been sleeping much because his throat gets so sore. I'm not sure how you guys with newborns do it, because after 5 nights without sleep I'm about to pull my hair out. The one up-side of him not feeling good has been that he wants to cuddle with us 24 hours a day...very unusual for him. So I'm trying to appreciate this downtime with him until he starts to feel better. I'm so glad the surgery is over and hopefully he'll start to feel much better soon.
Also, we've heard that our region is starting to see some activity again. Traveling for our first trip in October seems very likely. I don't think I realized how down I was feeling about waiting until I received this bit of good news on Friday. Suddenly the long wait doesn't seem all that bad anymore. Now I'm thinking that October is less than a month away and I have a LOT I need to get finished before we travel. Of course, if they told me that I need to get on plane tomorrow I go, I wouldn't hesitate. I'm a procrastinator by nature and this may be just the kick in the butt that I need to finish these last-minute projects.
Check back soon and hopefully I'll have some good news to share!