Sunday, September 23, 2007

No News is NOT Good News

I talked with my coordinator again. Our poor coordinator was trying to get ready for a business trip but she wouldn't leave until she had an update for us. She insisted the director of the program call Moscow on our behalf and figure out what was going on with our potential referral/travel. (Have I mentioned how much I LOVE our coordinator?!?!) The news wasn't good. Evidently, our region doesn't want to give out any more referrals until the agency gets reaccredited. Sooooo, best case scenario, our agency gets accreditation and we can travel in late October. Worst case scenario...I don't even want to think about it.
I was so disappointed by the news. I think over the past few days, I've gone through an abbreviated version of the 7 stages of grief: denial, anger, bargaining...and finally acceptance. Surprisingly enough, I'm now okay with this news. Of course it's not what I want, but there is absolutely nothing I can do (other than pray for accreditation to happen ASAP) to change the situation. And I keep reminding myself that this time next year, she'll have been home for a long time and this will all seem like a distant memory.
My main fear now is that the second trip will be during Christmas and I'll miss Christmas with my boys. But I refuse to even think that far ahead at this point. We'll cross that bridge when/if we get there.
I did tell my coordinator that I really don't want to hear any more estimates on when we should travel. For 6 months we have been hearing estimates on when they think it will happen. So we've had these expectations dangling in front of our faces, just kind of teasing us with hope. No more. I'm not going to try to plan our schedules around the possibility of traveling. I don't want any more information until it is official.
In the meantime, the boys start their fall break on Thursday of this week. They have 2 1/2 weeks off from school and we plan on having a ton of fun. And then it will be time to think about Halloween and all of the celebrations that go along with it.
Off to pray for accreditation!

12 comments:

Dede said...

So sorry to hear this. Hopefully the reaccreditations will come soon and we can all get our children home!

Michael, Carrie, and S said...

I'm so sorry to hear what is going on with referrals in your region. We'll keep praying for the reaccreditation to happen so everyone can start getting referrals and bringing their children home soon. Enjoy the fall break with your boys!

Deb said...

I'm so sorry for this added delay.
I'm praying for accrediation to happen very soon for your agency so you can bring your daughter home.

Troy and Rachel said...

That's tough about the referrals. I hope to hear we have acreditation soon so we can all bring our babies home.

Anonymous said...

Oh, that stinks. I am glad that you have that "a year from now . . ." attitude. And I think that trying not to think about it at this point is probably the best thing that you can do for yourself. Enjoy the fall season, time with your boys, and carve a pumpkin or 2!! :)

Susan said...

I'm sorry to hear about the delay. I'll be praying for you that you get your travel time soon and don't have to continue to wait so long.

Christen L said...

So sorry to hear that news, but so glad to see that you're not letting it get you down. You have to beautiful little boys there to have a blast with.... that is probably the best solution to the wait that I can think of. :) Can't wait to hear about halloween costumes!!! Fun, fun, fun!

Becky and Keith said...

Ugh! I would definitely say that isn't good news. I hope accreditation is around the corner for everyone's sake! I agree with you about the timeframes - no use guessing when it comes to adoption! Just sets you up for a little bit of heartache. Keep us posted!

Adrienne, Another Ordinary Miracle said...

I'm so sorry Astrakhan has stopped referrals until accreditation. I hope and pray it happens soon. I know you are so ready to meet your child, and I do hope it happens before the holidays. I hope you have a nice fall break with your cuties!

Carey and Norman said...

Allison,

I'm so sorry to be so late in responding to your blog. I know I've checked and rechecked it, but this is the first time I've seen this post. Hmm....not sure what is going on here. Anyway, we are sorry to hear that your region is closed until accreditation occurs. Having two boys from the same region, I can imagine why you would want to stay. It is so unfair (not only to us) to these poor children that need loving homes to have to wait to be adopted. Plus, this slow down causes some adopters to go to other countries. I just can't figure out their thought process. I guess we should just feel blessed that they continue to work in some regions.

You are in our thoughts and prayers!! May you receive a referral soon!!

mommyto5 said...

So sorry about the delay, prayers going out.

Christen L said...

Just checking in to say hi and wondering what your kiddos are wearing for halloween :)