Monday, October 20, 2008

Home Sweet Home

Okay, so I had a long post written about our trip and our time home so far. Unfortunately my computer kicked me off and I lost the entire thing. So I'm going to make this short and sweet while little one is playing with the Monkey for a few minutes.
Our trip was amazing. I won't say it was a piece of cake but it was much easier than I expected. HotDog is such a good baby. She is a fantastic eater, sleeper (while in Kyrgyzstan, that is), loves to be held and rocked. The only time she fusses is when we can't get her the bottle quick enough. It was great to get quality one-on-one time with her and we made wonderful progress with bonding during our stay. She was a fantastic traveler too. She had one crying fit of about 45 minutes out of the 29 hours we traveled. Of course, she didn't sleep much on the flights - too many things to look at and see. Several of the grandmothers on the flight took pity on me and took turns carrying her around for awhile so I could eat and have a few moments to myself. Having Stu meet us in Memphis for the final leg was a wonderful surprise. I sobbed for a few moments after I saw him - I was so exhausted and it was such a relief to see his face again. It was such a special time for him to have a little while of quiet time with her before we arrived home to the party at the airport (as the Monkey refers to our family greeting us at the airport).
Since we've been home, little HD has been great. Her big brothers absolutely adore her and she is particularly fond of Monkey; anytime he is around she laughs and giggles. It's funny how much she is already part of our family; it feels like she's been with us forever. And she definitely has us all wrapped around her chubby little finger:) The only real issue we are dealing with is her refusal to sleep for more than two hours at a time, even overnight. Her little body is exhausted and she needs to sleep but I think she has the days and nights confused and is just so overstimulated by her new environment.
We have her first pediatrician's visit this morning so I'm hoping to get the okay to start her on food. I think this will fill her up and she might actually sleep for a longer period of time. Eventually she has got to crash...right?!?!
Okay, gotta run and try to get little miss to nap for a little while this afternoon. I'm sure all you want to see is pictures anyway:)

20 comments:

Anonymous said...

what a sweetie! Congratulations!

Troy and Rachel said...

She is just so precious. Hope the sleeping gets better soon...for all of you.

Suz said...

Welcome home!! I am so happy that your journey is complete!

Remind me again, how old is Hot Dog now??

I laughed to myself when Stu wrote that they'd misspelled her name, I thought, "how do you misspell Hot Dog?"

Mom to 2 Angels said...

Congrats on getting home safely! She is adorable!

Lori said...

Oh my goodness....she is absolutely adorable! Those eyes and that little smile just melted my heart!

I'm so glad you are all well, and I hope that little HD realizes that sleep is WONDERFUL...and quick!

Congratulations!

Monica said...

She's so beautiful! I'm overwhelmed with happiness for you to have this journey behind you and to have that sweet baby HOME with you forever! CONGRATS!!!

Michael, Carrie, and S said...

Congratulations, and welcome home! She is beautiful, and you all look so happy with her!

Jackie said...

So glad to see your update and the pictures of your beautiful HD. Welcome home and congratulations once again. I look forward to watching her grow :)

Jackie

Beth said...

Welcome Home you two! It was wonderful to meet you and HD. Keep in touch

Kathy and Bob Abell said...

So happy you're both home. You know you have plenty of aunts who would love to give you a break anytime if sleep doesn't come soon.

Love
Kathy & Bob

Carey and Norman said...

She is beautiful. Thanks for sharing the pictures. It sounds like life as a family of five is perfect!!

I'm so happy you are home. I look forward to hearing more about your time away and your trip home.

Lisa said...

Congratulations!!!! God bless you! Little HD is adorable!

Dede said...

Welcome home! She is beautiful and love her smile. Congrats!

Jeanne said...

Welcome home! It's thrilling to see your beautiful girl with her forever family!

April Taylor said...

Oh man, she is GORGEOUS!!!!

The sleeping thing will come, hang in there. It can take a while.

I am so happy for you guys!

Cheers!
April Taylor
www.taylorkid.com

Tami said...

Welcome home! She is absolutely precious.

Margaret and Tom said...

She is soooo adorable and cute and she has gotten so big :) What a great smile! I love the picture in there from Gotcha day, I would recognize that room in the background anywhere. I am so glad your travels went well...I bet your reunion with Stu was just wonderful feeling though...Take care, sleep when you can, and then when you feel up to it, post lots more pictures :)

Bridget said...

Congrats! She is just a doll!

Welcome HOME!!!

Bridget

Anonymous said...

Congratulations! She is so beautiful and looks so healthy! I am so glad you are home safe and everything went well. I have been praying for you and your family!

Stephanie

jessy said...

She is beautiful! Glad you made it home. I was kind of worried for you going solo, but it looks like you are a woman's woman! I don't think I could do it.